Home> Biophysical Society of China
To stay at the forefront of academic research and meet member expectations, the Biophysical Society of China (BSC) views organization of high-quality academic meetings and advanced scientific development as its goals. It has invited a number of famous scholars and experts from home and abroad to give lectures and speeches, including Nobel laureates and fellows of the National Academy of Sciences, American Academy of Arts and Sciences, the UK’s Royal Society, the EMBO, etc. It also organizes a variety of conferences and builds them into signature events such as the Chinese Biophysics Congress, the International Symposium on Membrane Biology, the National Free Radical Biology and Medicine Symposium, the National Calcium Signaling and Cell Function Seminar and the International Symposium on Lipid Metabolism and Bioenergetics.
Scholars from home and abroad utilize these academic platforms to envision the discipline's future trends, facilitate the formation of research groups, promote innovation and build an international reputation. Such events benefit the society's members and other researchers, and also increase the society's attraction, synergy and influence.
The BSC has organized 123 academic conferences and received 25,870 visitors from 2006 to 2016.
Chinese Biophysics Congress
Since 1964, the congress has been successfully held for 14 sessions.
• It is the largest biophysics academic conference in China, with the largest numbers in attendance and most comprehensive coverage. Over the most recent decade, attendance numbers at each session increased 50 percent from the previous session.
• It upgraded from a domestic event into an international academic conference in 2011
• The conference has invited a dozen famous international scientists to give reports including Nobel laureates and fellows of the National Academy of Sciences and the Royal Society. The content of the event represents the highest academic level for biophysics research in China.
• Sub-seminars are organized to focus on different topics such as career planning for youth, biophysics and women, etc.
• The conference set up special sub-venues with the American Society for Cell Biology and the Biophysical Society of Japan since 2017
• The Shitsan Pai Award is presented during the conference with award winners invited to give a speech.
The International Symposium on Membrane Biology
• This bi-yearly event has a long history, successfully held for 14 sessions, and holds significant influence in the field of membrane biology
• The organizing committee has attracted high-level scholars from abroad. The increasing participation of international scholars has helped elevate the academic level of the event. From 2009 it formally adopted its current official name to reflect its nature as a domestic and international event.
• Innovative conference format with good exchange results. It is one of the earliest meetings with special and targeted invitations to all presenters, with the presentation and discussion times set at 1:1 so attendees can have in-depth academic exchanges
• Special graduate seminars set up for students and also competition on good theses. The conference invites heavyweight scholars to comment on the theses on the spot and also give guidance for the future
National Free Radical Biology and Medicine Symposium
• Bi-yearly conference has been held 10 times.
• It has attracted a large number of scholars from Taiwan and Hong Kong as well from abroad due to its high-level academic work and significant influence. Its name was changed to the Symposium for Cross-straits on Free Radical Research and the National Symposium on Free Radical Research in 2004, and then to the Symposium for Three Districts of Cross-straits on Free Radical Research in 2008.
The name was changed to International Chinese Symposium on Free Radical Research in 2012.
National Calcium Signaling and Cell Function Seminar
• Rigorous academic attitude and high academic standards gains the attention of international counterparts
• In 2010, the BSC and the Biophysical Society of the United States co-hosted the 8th seminar, the first such cooperation. It laid a good foundation for future cooperation among the two societies.
• Co-chair mechanism: since 2010, a China-US co-chair mechanism has been set by the organizing committee, with each session having a chairperson from China and a chairperson from the US, as well as multiple committee members, responsible for the academic meeting and conference work. Overseas committee members leverage the location advantage to elevate seminar's academic level as it offers a collaboration platform for international scholars and discipline advancement.
International Symposium on Lipid Metabolism and Bioenergetics
• Special Translational Medicine session build a platform for basic and clinical experts to conduct in-depth exchanges, key to breaking the bottleneck for treatment of major chronic metabolic diseases.